Managing water damage
Marc-Antoine avatar
Written by Marc-Antoine
Updated over a week ago

Facing your first water damage? Don't worry Luko is here to help you 🤝

💧 First aid measures

If the leak comes from your home:

  • Turn off the water tap at the source of the problem

  • If this is not enough, turn off the water to your entire home

In flats, it sometimes happens that the general water supply is not in your flat, but in the common areas. This is often in a cupboard or a technical room. If necessary, ask your caretaker or landlord to find it.

  • To prevent further damage: place containers under the leaks to catch the water. Even if the water supply is cut off, there may be a build-up that will keep it flowing for a while.

  • If the water damage is very serious: remember to switch off your electricity to avoid any risk of electrocution or short-circuit

  • Remember to warn the other parties involved: your landlord if you are a tenant, your condominium manager if you are an owner

If the leak comes from your neighbour's house:

  • Contact your neighbour, and ask him/her to turn off the water (first the water tap that seems to be the source of the problem, then if necessary, the general water supply)

☝️ Don 't have your neighbour's details? If you are a tenant, your landlord may have them. If not, consider asking your other neighbours.

  • Try to identify the origin of the leak with your neighbour to anticipate future interventions

If the leak is coming from the building/common areas:

  • The first thing to do is to notify the syndic or your landlord and describe the problem to them.

☝️ If you don't know the contact details of your syndic, they are often mentioned in the stairwell or in the entrance of the building.

💻 Next: managing the claim

Here are some details on the procedure for handling a water damage claim and the steps you can expect:

  1. Firstly, the priority is to control the leak, if its origin is known, and to contact all parties involved

  2. Then, report your claim to us, taking care to send us enough photos and videos so that we have a clear picture of the situation

  3. If the origin of the leak is not visible: a leak search should be commissioned

  4. Once the origin of the leak has been identified: it must be repaired (this can be done during the same intervention as the leak detection: the main thing is to stop the flow as soon as possible).

  5. Then comes the costing of the damage: if it is very important, it is sometimes necessary to have a survey on site (which lengthens the treatment time). But in most cases, a remote assessment is sufficient.

  6. Now that the damage has been quantified, we can appoint a craftsman to carry out the repairs:

  • If you choose a craftsman from the Luko network: you don't have to incur any costs, you only pay the craftsman the amount of your excess!

  • If you use an external craftsman: you will have to incur the costs and will be compensated (deductible) at the end of the work.

☝️ To manage your water damage, we will probably ask you to provide us with an Amiable Water Damage Report. We explain here how best to complete it.

☎️ The big question: who should call the plumber?

It isthe person responsible for the point of origin of the leak who should organise the search for and repair of the leak.

  • If the leak is in your home → it's you

☝️ If you are in a furnished rental → it is often your landlord who has to deal with the claim. If this is the case, a message will appear to inform you of this when you make your claim.

  • If the leak comes from the neighbour's house → it is your neighbour

  • If the leak comes from the common areas → it's the syndic

Remember to take photos and videos before any intervention, if the leak is at your home. And keep your bill.

You know everything ✨

Did this answer your question?