Flood can be cause by many factors such as heavy rains, overflowing rivers, melting snow. The effects of flood can be dangerous and cause severe damage.
For your peace of mind 😌, Luko has prepared some advice on how to protect yourself and your house during this bad weather conditions.
Things to do before the event to avoid damage:
- Close and securely fasten doors and windows;
- If you live in a house, seal doors and windows with sandbags;
- Keep your property in a well-maintained condition (for example replace/ repair any loose roof tiles, guttering, and so on that could potentially come loose and cause damage to property);
- Bring all the outdoor furniture inside your house and secure loose objects such as ladders and trash bins or anything else that could be moved by the water ;
- If you live in a house, bring all the valuable belongings in the top floor and do not use the basement;
- Cut your gas and electricity;
- Stay away from the flood water.
Things to do after the event to report damage:
- Be careful not to touch any electrical/ telephone cables that have been blown down or are still hanging;
- Do not plug in electrical devices if they are wet or damp;
- Ventilate as much as possible, clean with detergent, disinfect with bleach and dry the accommodation by heating very gently for several days;
- Do not use tap water for drinking or cooking (it may be polluted) until you have verified with your municipality that it is drinkable. Run it to clean the network and drain away standing water.
- Do a damage assessment of your house and check the exterior and interior of your house to make sure everything is in order.